Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Gluten-Free Vegan?

Not quite. See, this project stems from my now-10-month old son's diagnosis with food allergies, specifically wheat, eggs and peanuts. Given that, we don't need to be gluten-free, but gluten-free stuff is usually labelled prominently, and if it's gluten-free, it's wheat-free.

Similarly, if it's vegan, it will be egg-free. We do still eat meat (though not as much as we used to) and dairy. The two older boys would run away from home to join the circus if I took away their meat and cheese!

The problem with a lot of the recipes I've found on the internet is that they are generally either wheat-free or egg-free, but rarely both. Given that there are no 100% substitutions for either, this presents something of a challenge.

I like challenges. I also like cooking and baking, which is a very good thing, because the readily available wheat- and egg-free convenience foods available locally are pretty much non-existent. (Kudos to one of the grocery stores, Country Mart, for at least having a small selection of Bob's Red Mill wheat-free flours. This makes life somewhat easier.) I am also blessed by having children who are pretty open to trying new things.

I encourage you to join me on my experiments in allergy culinaria! Feel free to post your own experiences if you make one of my recipes. This is one case where too many cooks may not spoil the broth!

No comments:

Post a Comment